Monday, October 25, 2010

I don’t deliver

For the past few weeks, Thomas and I have been selling a lot of furniture, electronics and random things we don’t want to carry over to Germany. Thanks to Craigslist and Yammer, we’ve been pretty successful.

But anytime you try selling stuff to the general public, you have to expect a few eye-rolling moments. While I ignored most of these, I’ve included a couple of my favorites (typos included).

  • Nearly new Dyson vacuum posted for $400
    • Potential buyer: “I give 200 dollars cash today. Let me know when/where to pick up.”
    • Me: “Really? Two-hundred whole dollars?? THANK YOU! I posted this item for sale more than 13 hours ago and was starting to feel that all was lost. You, kind sir – or madam – have certainly rescued me from this most uncomfortable state of resale purgatory. Please meet me at the corner of hellhath and frozenover at 7 p.m. But, because I am soooo grateful for your help, I will only accept $100, at most. I just hope that you carry money in pennies because I have penchant for large amounts of incredibly small change.
  • Toaster posted for $5: 
    • Potential buyer: “I’m really interested in ur toaster but need it delivered to the address below. Thanks.”
    • Me: “Of course! I would be more than happy to drive across town to present you with this toaster. I do hope you will find it to your liking. It does an amazing job toasting gluten-based items. As with any large purchase, I’m sure you would like to try it out first. Therefore, I shall bring a hand baked, pre-sliced loaf of bread for you to sample. Of course, there will be a nominal delivery change of $52.73 (exact change only). Please let me know at what time I should arrive and I will make haste.

1 comment:

  1. Tell me about it! Frankly, I am DONE with Craigslist for ever. It used to be people who were very respectful, now it's just gotten so ghetto and extremely disrespectful. I've come to the conclusion that people just want a lot for nothing. I also love the people who email you and ask for specifics like measurements, model, make, how long you owned it.. blah blah blah. and then you tell them, and they never get back to you!

    I feeeeel your pain!!! I feel like the old Yard Sale is better than freaking craigslist nowadays.

    ReplyDelete